Tomorrow, May 13, 2017 marks the 100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima’s first apparition to the three children in Fatima, Portugal. Her message is as important now as it was then. Below is a summary of the events surrounding the apparitions along with other events happening in the world around that time.
World War I – July 28, 1914 – November 11, 1918
Armenian Genocide – Began April 24, 1915. This is the worlds first reported genocide which involved the extermination of Christian Armenians while under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. The reported end of this atrocity is in 1923.
1st Visit from the Guardian Angel of Portugal (sometime in 1915)
The Angel gave the children his first prayer:
My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love Thee. I ask pardon for all those who do not believe in Thee, do not adore Thee, do not hope in Thee, do not love Thee.
This prayer was repeated three times.
2st Visit from the Guardian Angel of Portugal (summer months in 1915)
Instructions given to the children of Fatima from the Angel:
“Pray! Pray a great deal! The hearts of Jesus and Mary have designs of mercy for you! Offer unceasingly to the Most High prayers and sacrifices!”
“Offer up everything within your power as a sacrifice to the Lord in an act of reparation for the sins by which He is offended; and of supplication for the conversion of sinners. Thus invoke peace upon your country. I am her Guardian Angel; the Angel of Portugal. Above all, accept and bear with submission the sufferings that the Lord may send you.”
3rd Visit from the Guardian Angel of Portugal (autumn months in 1915)
The Angel brought a chalice with him, over it was a host. He left it suspended in air and prayed:
“Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, I adore Thee profoundly, and I offer Thee the Most Precious Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of the same Son Jesus Christ, present in the Tabernacles of the world, in reparation for all the sacriliges, outrages and indifferences by which He himself is offended. And by the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart and through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of Thee the conversion of poor sinners.”
He then arose and gave the host and the contents of the chalice to the children and said
“Take and drink the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, horribly outraged by ungrateful men. Make reparation for their crimes and console your God”
Historical Events in 1917
April 2 – WWI: U.S. President Woodrow Wilson asks the United States Congress for a declaration of war on Germany.
April 6 – WWI: The United States declares war on Germany.
May 13 – The nuncio Eugenio Pacelli, the future Pope Pius XII, is consecrated Archbishop by Pope Benedict XV.
1st Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (May 13, 1917)
Her instructions to the children
- To come to the same place for 6 consecutive months on the 13th at the same time (noon) each month.
- Offer yourself to God to endure all the sufferings that He may choose to send you, as an act of reparation for the sins by which He is offended and as a supplication for the conversion of sinners.
- Say the Rosary every day to bring peace to the world and the end of war.
May 27 – Pope Benedict XV promulgates the 1917 Code of Canon Law
June 13 – WWI: The first major German bombing raid on London by fixed-wing aircraft leaves 162 dead and 432 injured.
July 8–13 – WWI: First Battle of Ramadi: British troops fail to take Ramadi from the Ottoman Empire; a majority of British casualties are due to extreme heat.
2nd Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (June 13, 1917)
- Say the Rosary, inserting between the mysteries the following ejaculation:
‘O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need’
- That she would use Lucia to establish a Devotion to her Immaculate Heart in the world.
- Promise of salvation to those who embrace her Immaculate Heart and that their souls will be loved by God as flowers placed by herself to adorn his throne.
- “My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.
3rd Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (July 13, 1917)
- Continue to say the Rosary every day in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary to obtain peace for the world and the end of the war; for She alone can save it.
- Sacrifice Yourself for sinners; and say often, especially when making some sacrifice
‘O my Jesus, it is for love of Thee, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary I offer this sacrifice to Thee.’
- Out Lady promised a miracle would be performed at her October apparition.
- Our Lady showed them Hell, then asked that Russia be Consecrated her Immaculate Heart and for the Communion of Reparation on the First Saturdays.
- Our Lady explained that war is punishment for sin, and that if people don’t stop offending God that another and worse war will break during the reign of Pius XI.
“In the end, My Immaculate Heart will Triumph.”
August 10 – A general strike begins in Spain; it is smashed after 3 days with 70 left dead, hundreds of wounded and 2,000 arrests.
4th Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (August 13, 1917)
The children were kidnapped by the local authorities and were not allowed to visit the location of the apparitions. BUT, on the 19th, she visited them.
- Continue to come on the 13th and to say the rosary everyday
- In October a Miracle would be performed, but because of their kidnapping it will not be a grand as was originally planned.
- Saint Joseph will come with Baby Jesus to give peace to the world.
- Our Lord will come to bless the people
- Our Lady of the Rosary and Our Lady of Sorrows will come.
- Our Lady was asked what shall be done with the donations that were starting to pour in from the faithful who believed the children. They were instructed to place the money in two litters:
- One for the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary
- The leftover will go to the construction of a chapel that is to be built
- Our lady was asked to cure some of the sick, her reply:
- Pray for the health of the souls rather than for bodies
- Pray a great deal and make a sacrifice for sinners, many souls go to Hell for not having someone to pray and make sacrifices for them.
August 14 – Republic of China declares war on Germany and Austria-Hungary.
5th Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (September 13, 1917)
- Continue to say the Rosary every day to obtain the end of the war.
- A miracle would be performed in October, not as grand as was originally planned.
- When asked if she would cure the sick who had contacted them
- “Some I will cure; but the others, no. Our Lord does not have confidence in them.”
- When asked again about the money donated
- Half shall go to placing a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary
- The rest shall go to the building of a chapel
September 14 – Russia is declared a republic by the Provisional Government.
October 12-19 – WWI: Operation Albion: German forces land on and capture the West Estonian archipelago.
6th Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima (October 13, 1917)
- A chapel is to be built in her honor.
- She revealed herself for the first time as Our Lady of the Rosary
- Continue to say the Rosary every day. The war would end soon and the soldiers will return to their homes.
- People must amend their lives and ask pardon for their sins.
- They must not offend Our Lord any more for He is already too much offended.
- The “Miracle of the Sun” was performed and recorded by both believers and skeptics alike. Everyone present were converted.
October 25 (O.S.) (November 7, N.S.) – Traditional beginning date of the October Revolution and Russian Civil War.
November 2 – Zionism: The British Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour makes the Balfour Declaration proclaiming British support for the “establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people” with the clear understanding “that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities”.
November 7 – (N.S.) (October 25, O.S.) – October Revolution in Russia: The workers of the Petrograd Soviet in Russia, led by the Bolshevik Party and leader Vladimir Lenin, storm the Winter Palace and successfully destroy the Kerensky Provisional Government after less than eight months of rule.
November 28 – WWI: The Bolsheviks offer peace terms to the Germans.